Friday 27 June 2014

5 WAYS TO WEAR... A CIRCLE SKIRT



My shopping trip to the Topshop sales called for something new and completely different. Whilst browsing the rails I came across an item I had always wanted to try but had never had the guts to go for it. Well this time I went for it - I bought this full cream quilted circle skirt. I was determined to make it work and I have now compiled 5 potential looks. It was also a chance to take advantage of the massive array of accessories in both mine and my mum's wardrobe... handbag heaven! Take a look and see what you think.

 This post shows my take on a classic 1940's look, with a few modern twists to bring it into the present day. The circle skirt is such a dramatic shape it's likely to draw attention when I wear it in public for the first time - it's definitely for those looking to make a statement! It's a popular trend, but before I tried it on I had thought it might not suit my size and body shape - oh how I was wrong! I felt sensational wearing it, almost reminiscent of something SJP would wear whilst painting the town red in NYC. You just want to twirl around and wait for Big to come and sweep you off your feet. 

LOOK 1.. Lady Dior

This is definitely my favourite ensemble of the collection. I tried to match the femininity and sophistication synonymous with Dior and the Lady Dior handbag model. This monochrome look would be perfect for afternoon tea in the sunshine, but I would even feel comfortable wearing it for a leisurely shopping trip - preferably in Paris! The black accents really accentuate the skirt as it can stand out and speak for itself. 

Black lace top - Miss Selfridge
Quilted circle skirt and sunglasses - Topshop
Necklace - Primark
Handbag - Dior (MUM)
Heels - Steve Madden







LOOK 2...Bright white

From black to white (with a little pink) - maintaining the cropped top look, this time I went for something lighter and simpler, focusing on accessories - all pink as usual. I re-found these shoes I got a while ago - they're so comfy and easy to walk in! A look ideal for a lunch with friends or family - if you're brave enough it could be worn anywhere!

Top and rings - Topshop
Necklace - Miss Selfridge
Shoes - Lipsy
Bracelet - Thomas Sabo
Handbag - Zara




LOOK 3... Cocktail glam

As worn in a previous post, (read it here if you missed it!), this bejewelled cami makes a reappearance - this time with the back detailing featured! The cami moves the skirt to an evening look, with my gold accessories adding a little bit of classic glamour. Subtle details are key here, as simplicity is what makes it work. 


Top and necklace - Miss Selfridge
Circle Skirt - Topshop
Handbag/clutch - River Island
Shoes - Steve Madden 





 LOOK 4... Blue basics

This look is what I was particularly referring to when I mentioned modern twists to a classic look, as by pairing the skirt with this low cut powder blue bralet it changes the overall silhouette, whilst also making it a little sexier. It would be great for a date night, adding a jacket for when the night draws in. 

Powder blue bralet - Missguided
Circle skirt - Topshop
Necklace - Forever21
Handbag - Louis Vuitton (MUM)
Shoes - River Island



LOOK 5... Think pink

I went a little pastel crazy with this final look, injecting different textures and vibrancy. This is achieved by my lovely candy colour vintage handbag and layered jewellery. As the bag is quite small, it would only be appropriate for drinks or a meal, unless you pack light! Of course, my cleated pink wedges create a playful factor, as where stilettos are elegant, this look is less serious. The colour scheme is especially summery - so if you felt like ditching the classic shorts-cami combo on a summer holiday for a day out, this is an option! (Obviously with a bigger handbag)


Baby Pink turtle neck, circle skirt, rings and pastel colour necklaces - Topshop
Pink wedges - Kurt Geiger
Handbag - Vintage



This post definitely proves that if you want to trying something new but you're unsure how it's going to look, just try it on! You might be surprised with the results. Will you dare?


*Special thanks to mum for having the most beautifully appropriate bags for the looks!*
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Existence in Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig